Thursday 2 February 2012

MIDNIGHT IN METROPOLIS




Yesterday I finally finished my animation for the course. It was a paper cut-out animation, in the style of Lotte Reiniger. I produced one last year similar, and now I remember why I vowed not to do another. It takes ages and it is fiddly. Unfortunately I could not get tiny animation pins (I borrowed some for the robot, which looks suitable, as it reminds me of bolts). I tried pins on the girl, but she was too small and the pins would rip right through her (something I would feel very guilty about.)


You will notice that Metropolis (1927) was another influence on the style, mostly in the architecture. I love the design in Metropolis. The tall buildings looming over the action. It just looks marvellous. It also influenced other touches like the little planes flying above.


I wish that I had made the streets busier, to really give that city feel, but apart from that, I am really happy with it. 


In a future post I'll upload my old animation, but until then you can watch it here:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEGKi8SJaSw

No comments:

Post a Comment