Saturday 28 July 2012

Vampire Bat

I'm designing classic monster in the hope they will be useful for future films. First up we'll start with Vampires.
No, NO! Proper vampires. Ones that actually vant to suck your blood. Ones that shun from the day light. Ones that don't look at girls mysteriously, with a constipated face and begin a frustrating franchise of back and forthing and end with a vampire cesarian! Ones like... Christopher Lee, show 'em how to do it Chris--

-- My God he's awesome!


No these are vampiric beasts. In Bram Stoker's original novel of Dracula, the title Count could shape shift into a bat, a wolf and smoke. I probably won't draw the smoke, but below you can see the bat and wolf. I decided to make the bat more monstrous, but the size of a human. It just seems more threatening. Plus it's an interesting design. I'm pleased how this turned out. In fact this is a design I have been trying to crack for a couple of years. If I find the older version I'll post it. It turns out I just needed to make the face more bat-like. I tried to colour it, but because of the cross-hatching... well it didn't happen, but I imagine it to be like a dull, dusty brown. 





The last image is torn from Van Helsing's book on Vampires. I took a lot from bats, such as the hands for feet, which look very creepy, but are also reminiscent of ape feet, so it is not just bats that are present here. Where the wings bridge the outside wrist to the shoulder were based on actual bats. Using nature as an influence grounds the design. It makes the audience believe it and that is important.



No comments:

Post a Comment