Saturday 28 July 2012

Wolf-Man

My werewolf is based on the more traditional werewolves that appeared in films such as:


Werewolf of London (1935)


The Wolf-Man (1941)


The Curse of the Werewolf (1961)


I have always preferred this style to the more wolf-like and it is simply because you still see the human in the face. Modern werewolves are too monstrous, trying to be tough and bullish. 
To me they just stop being scary. Above are examples from Van Helsing (2004. They just become a dragon for the hero to slay, instead of a supernatural transformation.


The original design is better because I can believe that this was once a human. Where in the werewolf mythos, does it say you become a huge monster. It doesn't, your body merely turns animalistic and that is why I prefer it. Plus I find seeing the human's eyes through the make-up sad and therefore more frightening. So there we are... my lecture on werewolves.


Again I find the feet gross, the way they are suspended like that.





No comments:

Post a Comment