Thursday 17 May 2012

Stuffed in the Cupboard





 This is my idea of Batman. To me it really represents the World's Greatest Detective feel- and I love flash-lights!


Brush Pen
 A slightly more cartoony Batman. The influence here was Mike Mignola/ David Mazzuchelli 


Brush Pen
 I was never a big fan of Superman growing up (except for the Fleischer cartoons which I have always loved), but I've realised in recent years that he symbolises everything a hero should be. He is essentially the perfect superhero.


This was influenced by Darwyn Cooke, whose work I really do admire. It captures that classic golden/ silver age look. The black badge was influenced by the Fleischer animations.


Letroset Promarker
 This was a character for a graphic novel idea, which is essentially Fairy Tales... IN SPAAAACE!


This is the Beauty and the Beast character. The closest thing in sci-fi I could think of was The Fly (1958).  I like the screwed up suit.


Fine Liner (0.1), Brush Pen, Letroset Promarker
 The Black Swan, the pirate alien's/ wicked witch's space craft. It's basically a classic rocket. This was the first image I came up with. It occurred me that an upside- down rocket, kinda looks like Repunzel's tower. How the thought came to me, I have no idea, but I'm glad it did.



This is our Cinderella. Already a princess, only made a slave. Her name is Delah (like Cinderella, mixed with Dejah Thoris...I think it works).


Her pose was based on a photo of Golden Age actress, Valerie Hobson, which I chose because I thought that since the 1930s, that is where modern royalty is. 


The turban was based on an Edmund Dulac illustration for Beauty and the Beast.


I really like this piece. She has a classic beauty where you believe the royalty


Fine Liner: 0.01
Brush Pen
Colouring Pencils

 The top two are classic monsters: Tim Curry as the Devil (really are you surprised?) from Legend and the Gill-Man from the Creature from the Black Lagoon.


The Bottom two are my own creations, the one on the left was inspired by driftwood.


Fine Liner: Various
Brush Pen                           


                                     




This Monster Mash dates from November 2010, when I still had long hair. I wanted to create an ensemble piece celebrating my favourite Monsters of Cinema- and yes I really do love the Ro-Man from Robot Monster


There's even a little Dalek in their. I'm not too fond of my depiction of Christopher Lee as Dracula, but rest are fine, especially Cesare. 


That's me in the middle- I really should update this with a haircut!


Two of my favourite characters here, the Wonderful wizard of Oz and Merlin. My Wizard of Oz, was really based on that circus ringleader look, only more whimsical, perhaps I was thinking of Professor Marvel from the 1939 film. Too me it captures the idea of Oz not being your typical High fantasy realm. It's a different style to Narnia, or Middle- Earth. I picture it more like a late 19th, early 20th century America (which shows I have no clue of American History).


Merlin was inspired by Aubrey Beardsley and Alan Lee's take on the character. They didn't depict him as an old guy in a white beard. I think that this version is more likely to feature in T. H. White's The Once and Future King. This is pretty much how I do picture Merlin, in White's book Merlyn is a character who experiences time backwards, so I guess the slightly victorian look of him fits that idea. His face reminds me of an owl, which works due to his familiar(which is an owl).



Finally we get to Odin the Wanderer. In classical mythology many the of the father Gods would walk amongst the humans, usually disguised in traveller garb. Odin was certainly no exception, and this is how I imagine him. His hands are small, as are his feet (don't take it personal Odin). Since Odin is single-eyed, I thought it would great to simply tip his hat a bit. Despite its faults, I do like this image. Being a fan of mythology, particuarly Norse, I appreciate the magnitude of this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment