Saturday 15 September 2012

Past, Present and Future


For the past four/five weeks I have been working on an animated film. Again working on that goddam Lotte Reiniger style, it is a horror story set in the antarctic. Basically I was upset that Guillermo Del Toro said he wasn't going to make his adaptation of  At the Mountains of Madness, (easily my favourite of Lovecraft's books). Jeez Del Toro, first The Hobbit now this! You're crushing me Del!

Anyway, my film is basically a mash of At the Mountains of Madness, The Thing From Another World (1951) and John Carpenter's The Thing (1981). For some reason I love antarctic horrors. Probably because there's not many of them and they usually involve scientists, and everyone likes scientists! There is also a touch of the original King Kong (1933). The story is simple. It is the 1930s and Professor Atwill is travelling to the antarctic to find a group of archaeologists who haven't been in contact of five weeks.


Professor Atwill- Based on my comic Newton Polo








Captain West- Based on Jack Driscoll in the original King Kong 










What is this?
Afterwards I would like to work on a pencil animation. I want to make it look and feel a saturday Morning cartoon with a retro touch (yes I know I said retro, but I mean proper retro 50s/60s, not 80s).

For inspiration I was forced to watch old Jay Ward stuff (Rocky and Bullwinkle, Peabody and Sherman), Chuck Jones (if you do not know who this is then shame on you!), and various other shows like Teen Titans, Kim Possible and that Dial M for Monkey segment on Dexter's Laboratory. I am not sure what I want to do, whether it is my own character, or I would like to make a Zatanna: Mistress of Magic cartoon, but it would be silent, and Zatanna's gimmick is the spells are said backwards.

Then I would like to work on my Newton Polo comic. I have been fine-tuning the characters lately to make them easier to recreate in other panels and to make them pleasing to look at.

PHEW! So that's the nuts and bolts of things at the moment. Pretty busy as you can see. So thats why there hasn't been any new Perfect movies etc. I will post the odd drawing now and then, so the site isn't empty. 

Thank you for reading the long post.





No comments:

Post a Comment